Pages

8.25.2011

the 4 month state of my body address {the things no one tells you}


ok, so after i told you all about pooping the table and my nightmare stitches...and having to drink to have sex now...i decided it's time for the next overshare on the mama body. because i always wondered these things. and no one talks about them.

exactly 4 months after foosa's exit, i have 3 pesky pounds to lose to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight. all my jeans finally fit again. but everything is looser (not the clothes, the skin). all my friends said the weight will come off but everything will be different. yep, i can say that's accurate. overall, i'm happy with my body - it has, after all, produced and nurtured a human for the past year. so it's all fine and great that my belly is still in the 12 week pregnant state. i do eat dessert every night now so i guess i can't be expecting too much. i have worked hard though - i've been back to running 15-20 miles a week since about 6 weeks postpartum. just recently though, the vag hasn't hurt after a run. tmi? probably, but i had no clue i'd be getting sore down there months after delivery just from running. why does nobody tell you anything?

since we're heading down the tmi road...i'll just keep going. let me tell you about pooping. no one told me that it would hurt to poop even after all the stitches healed. the first couple months were filled with painful poops (i shit you not, it will feel like you're trying to poop a razor) and tons of hemorrhoids (prior to pregnancy i had no idea what the hell a hemorrhoid was...i thought those were problems of 90 year old men). let me just say tucks are a postpartum mama's best friend. and dermoplast...i would go to town spraying that shit. that super owie vag phase lasted about 4 weeks and that was also about the time the bleeding stopped...and at that point, will and i started talking about sex again - we were both prepared to wait until i was cleared at my 6 week postpartum appointment. so after we got the go ahead, we went. but we didn't get far. holy crap did it hurt. for some reason, i always thought pushing a human through your vag would make it...bigger? no. that shit closes shop afterwards. it seemed to get even smaller at the sight of will's penis, like it was caving in on itself as a defense mechanism. it took us a few tries to even finish and the aftermath was not pretty. well, 4 months later, it still hurts. it's feeling better, but absolutely not like before.

on the upside, i still haven't gotten my period (thank you, breastfeeding). and my stomach was left with no stretch marks (amazing), instead, they decided to raid my ass and thighs. it's stretch mark city all over that region. my ass even looks depressed about it's current state, as it's taken a new, flattened and deflated look and headed south. the ladies have also migrated a bit :( bye bye, perky boobs (again, thank you, breastfeeding. but you are worth it)

my skin is finally clear - i broke out horribly toward the end of the pregnancy, even on my neck, chest and back like a 16 year old boy - ick! and it lingered for a couple months. the linea nigra is still there but fading slowly. oh and that beautiful, thick pregnancy hair that everyone loves? yea, that started falling out in huge chunks around 2 months postpartum. i now clog the shower drain about every other day.

one more bonus? oh the lovely lines around my eyes that make me look super awake and chipper at 5am as i'm getting my ass ready for work. i'm just waiting for the gray hairs to sprout and complete the look.

but it is all so worth it. that's what everyone says, right? well, it's true. i'm fine with my body and proud of everything it's done.

11 comments:

  1. I've been creeping on your blog for a few months now, and I just thought that you should know that this post made me laugh out loud. Glad to know what to expect post partum when I get to that point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have lots of things to discuss.

    I also escaped belly stretch marks, but look like I was butt and hip pregnant for 9 months. You look amazing, your belly is SO FLAT! I have been taking "after baby bump" photos since E was born, to watch the progress. I sent a few to a friend right after she was born and she said "why do you still look pregnant?!" She'll figure it out, one day :) I still look around 3 months pregnant, too. Although I must say your 12 weeks pregnant looks pretty darn good. I still have 8 pounds to go and I think I'm probably quite a bit shorter than you so I'm
    "showing" more. Ha! Can we use that term after the baby is already born?
    Also, you are so lucky with no period! I got mine on the dot when E was 3 months old....exactly one year after I missed my first period and found out I was pregnant.

    PS....I pooped in the tub. And on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PPS, I am so happy to hear that you have such a healthy image of your body. You are a wonderful Mama and great example for little Foosa. He will grow up setting his standards for a woman just as confident as you.
    Everyone has days where they feel down on themselves, it's just important to make sure that most days, we are being kind to ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. aura, i'm tickled pink you read my blog :) to get all mushy on you - you are such an inspiration to so many mamas! thanks for your sweet words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the pooping thing is traumatic. i thought i should only worry about the first. umm yeah no. i think it took until exactly 3 months for it to be normal pooping all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could have said so much of this - except I'm a month further along and still have 5 lbs to go. My belly came out unmarked, but my thighs are not a pretty sight. My boobs will never be the same, but it's so worth it (and still not having my period at 5 months PP is an added bonus!)

    Oh, and 15 - 20 miles/week? Great job! I'm happy if I get 10 in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how honest you are in your blog! And you look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is all SO true... Isn't it funny how no one ever really talks about this stuff? And it's truly amazing that we sign ourselves up to do it all again! Ha! And, of course, you do look fabulous! :) Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look great! And I agree w/ so much of this and I'm only 2 months pp! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I, like Diana, have been reading your blog for quite some time and I LOVE your honesty and writing style. I wanted to ask, I am going to start running again and am currently nursing. Have you had any supply issues when starting to run? Any advice would be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi kim! thanks so much :)

    i never noticed any changes in my supply from running. in fact, i always had an over-supply - i was able to pump at least a bottle every day in addition to nursing the foosa full time. i never notice a difference in supply from days i do or don't run. the only impact on my supply has been pumping at work recently (at the beginning, i was getting 15-18 oz at work, and i started only getting 6-10) so i began eating oatmeal everyday and drinking mothers milk tea and noticed a HUGE difference immediately.

    anyway back to the running - good for you! i always pump or nurse right before i go for a run. have fun :) if you have any more questions, feel free to email me at ersellers at gmail

    ReplyDelete

leave me some love...i love to hear from you :)