yea so this whole birth thing isn't going according to any plan.
contractions began saturday night while i was on a walk with my sisa. i tried not to get excited - we had dinner with my family and our little easter egg hunt. after dinner, i told everyone about the contractions and we went on a family walk. they were intensifying - we all decided to get coldstone thinking that would be the last night before foosa. boy were we wrong.
will and i headed home after coldstone, the contractions were about 5 min apart. i bounced on the birth ball and downed gatorade, will ran around cleaning, packing the bags in the car and making cookies for our nurse basket. the contractions started coming every 3 minutes but weren't super painful. we decided to get in bed and try to sleep. i woke up about every 30 min to a bad contraction but managed to sleep through the rest. at 5am, they were intensifying and i had a huge urge to poop. so i had some breakfast, pooped, then got back in bed. at 7am, I woke up and decided to go for a walk. contractions were every 3 minutes, i was so confused - i knew they should be more spaced out since they weren't super painful. we decided to skip easter mass and head to ihop. after pancakes, we went on another walk. contractions intensified and will decided to mow the grass while I took a shower and straightened my hair. after 19 hours of contractions, we decided to go to the hospital to get checked - I thought maybe i was one of those freaks of nature who couldn't gauge their contractions then had their baby on the toilet.
contractions were every 2-5 min at the hospital. nurse janis checked me and i was at 4cm - 19 hours for one measly centimeter. dr. r came to talk to us and said we would be better off heading home - if we stayed, they would just try to do stuff to me and dr. r knew we wanted natural. so home we went and we took a little nap. at 6pm we headed back to my parents house for easter dinner and more walking. by 9pm i had to focus and breathe through the contractions so we headed home to get some more rest. again, thinking it would be the night.
the contractions dropped off as soon as we got home. i was devastated, confused, and not sure what I was doing wrong - i got in the shower and had a meltdown - will talked me out of it. told me my body is doing everything right, it just has more preparing to do. i couldn't help but feel like i was going to be pregnant for 9 more months. or maybe just never even have a baby.
this morning i headed into the doctor to get my blood pressure checked - it was still high. dr. p also wasn't thrilled with my bloodwork from friday. i told her about my headaches over the weekend and she said she'd really advise that we induce tomorrow since all signs are pointing to preeclampsia. she could see the disappointment on my face. i've worked so hard for this natural birth and now i feel it's starting off with interventions. i know a healthy baby and mama are most important, so i agreed to the induction. since i'm already so far along and foosa is sitting so very low, she wants to just break my water and see if things pick up on their own. she feels confident that we probably won't even need pitocin.
so cross your fingers that everything goes somewhat smoothly. i cannot believe we'll be meeting our foosa tomorrow. i'll try to update soon :)
I hope everything goes well tomorrow, praying for a healthy mom & foosa!! Yippie, can't wait to see pictures!!
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited for you. From someone whose natural birth plan totally derailed, let me just say that a few weeks later I couldn't care less. Be kind to yourself, no matter what happens tomorrow. The only thing I regret about my birth experience is how hard I was on myself. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to read your next update! I hope baby Liam comes soon! :) Good luck
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry it isn't going how you planned! I can't wait to hear your next update!
ReplyDeleteTry not to be too hard on yourself. The doctor broke my water and gave me a very low dose of pitocin...things moved quickly! With your body already moving things along, I can imagine it'll be quick one the doctor breaks your water. I can't wait to "meet" Liam!! Good luck tomorrow. I'll be thinking about you!
ReplyDeleteBest of luck Erin, and try not to be so hard on yourself, ultimately all that matters is that you and baby Liam are healthy :)
ReplyDeletePraying everything goes smoothly! Can't wait to see your next update!!
ReplyDeleteGood luck and hope you have a smooth induction with minimal interventions!
ReplyDelete